Our ability to manage our way through life's ups and downs are a very large extent genetically determined. Over 70 percent of the effects that lead to differences in our resistance is due to inheritance.
In fact, 70 percent for girls and as high as 77 for boys, according to a study conducted by researcher Trine Waaktaar and Professor Svenn Torgersen at regional centers for children and young people's mental health (Psychological) East and South.
The study includes 2638 twins between 12 and 18 years - both identical and fraternal - who have considered themselves in relation to five thematic areas. Also parents have considered twins.
204 of the twin pairs are also provided DNA samples.
Family environment you grow up in has no effect on the variation in the ability to regain its normal functioning after stress. Individual environmental factors - events that are unique to the individual - account for 23 to 30 percent of the impact, respectively, boys and girls.
- It means that in our constitution have different ability to cope with stress. The world is not fair. We are not born with the same opportunities to cope with stress or adversity.
- Our assumptions are not equal, and this means for example that not everyone can become a concert pianist, said Torgersen.
He believes we have a tendency to wish for that personal qualities and musical or other skills do not develop the same way.
Independent and persistent
In his research has Waaktaar and Torgersen been concerned about the extent to which resistance (resilience) is genetically determined, and how much it is determined by conditions at any time we live under.
To know how environmental influence, it is necessary to determine the hereditary conditions.
Now, researchers studied data from three sources - the mother, father and children - all of which have assessed the children in relation to such things as:
The ability to cope with new and unusual situations
The ability to make a good impression on people
The ability to like to do new and different things
To find life full of things they are interested in
To perceive himself as a pretty strong personality
- They have considered themselves in relation to positive things. This is how we can best measure resiliensegenskaper said Torgersen.
In the study, researchers determined that the switch to measure these qualities among youth is important, because it is in adolescence we develop ourselves both physically and socially.
- When we talk about resiliensbegrepet we must remember that this is not necessarily about that people are kind and docile.
- Resistant people are persistent, independent, they have an ability to resist others and to implement what they decide, explains the professor, who also points out that gender differences are very small.
Development and Education
- With regard to last year's debate on the "born that way or become that way" is their genetic findings a bit of a minefield?
- Yes. Some want the wish that we can shape people as we want. At the same time there are not many today who believe that it is possible for all children to have only 6-ers at the school. We want what we make of good measures have great impact, and the effect it has.
- For example, most children could learn to master a piano. But only few have the opportunity to become concert pianists.
- At the opposite end: A sociologist said recently in an interview that "under certain conditions, we can all be criminals." What do you say to that?
- It's just nonsense. It would also mean that under certain conditions can all be good to play at Manchester United.
The society provides many opportunities to develop. And good it is. But the more we raise the educational level, the more are the reasons for the differences among us genetically.
- No one will prevent people from developing. We want people to make use of their skills, learn more, get new skills. In the extreme, and if everybody gets to choose freely, can we imagine that we have a stratified society based on inherited assumptions.
- How can we use this type of knowledge positively?
- We must use it to create more tolerance and solidarity. When we know that people do not come into the world with the same assumptions, we also need to show more support and solidarity.
- Moreover, we know the thing to fit a person does not fit all. Thus, we can also help a lot better, when necessary.
A desire for easier and clearer terms - to be able to say that "such people".
- But it varies how people are, and the variation is in our constitution. We tend to confuse dignity with being equal. We must not.